On Jul 9, 2014, at 18.48, Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org> wrote:

> btb:
>> with respect to my previous question about address verification, i think
>> i'm not understanding address_verify_poll_delay correctly.  while
>> working on troubleshooting the 6.2 second delay during the smtp
>> handshake, i'd set address_verify_poll_delay to 15 seconds, expecting
>> that postfix would then wait up to that long for verification of an
>> address to occur.
>
> address_verify_poll_delay (default: 3s)
>   The DELAY BETWEEN QUERIES for the completion of an address verification
>   request in progress.

it is this exact wording which left me confused.  is each queue id a single
address verification request?  or is the entire session while the client waits
for all addresses to be verified a single address verification request?  logic
would seem to indicate the former.  in any case, i want postfix to wait up to
15 seconds for each address before deciding the status isn’t deliverable, not
wait for 15 seconds idling after a verification request takes a fraction of a
second to complete.  how can these two elements of time be set independent of
each other?

-ben