Thanks much, Wietse.

A couple of follow-ups:

> As documented in ADDRESS_REWRITING_README, canonical mapping happens
> after append_dot_mydomain.

O.K.  I read that document but did not see that statement.  I just went back
and read it again and I still don't see that.  Perhaps the order of
processing can be more explicitly stated?

> Thus, either turn off append_dot_mydomain (which may also change
> the handling of other email addresses, which may break something),
> or change canonical_maps to rewrite the address that results from
> append_dot_mydomain, i.e.  u...@oldhost.standard.org

I presume there is a reason for the current processing order.  But it seems
it causes the need to rewrite a rewrite.  In other words, as you described,
I either have to turn off a feature (append_dot_mydomain) and then fix the
problem that that creates in canonical_maps, or else use canonical to
rewrite an address that has already been rewritten.

The reverse order seems more intuitive and useful (at least to me).  If
canonical was processed first, one would have the opportunity to fix the
error as it is coming in, before it is further manipulated and, perhaps,
becomes harder to distinguish from other addresses.  Then, anything left
over could be handled by append_dot_mydomain or the
remote_header_rewrite_domain, wherever they apply.

For backward compatibility, perhaps a switch could be provided to control
the order.  Just a thought.

Once again, thanks for the quick reply.

Michael