Last week I introduced a safety net based on a compatibility level.

If you upgrade to a Postfix version that has a higher compatibility
level than the main.cf compatibility level (default: 0) then Postfix
will use backwards-compatible default settings and log warnings
when the old Postfix configuration uses a default setting that is
going to change. You can then decide to make the old default setting
permanent before updating the main.cf compatibility level.

Compatibility level 1 changes defaults to: append_dot_mydomain=no,
smtputf8_enable=yes and chroot=n. Details of warning messages are
in http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#compatibility_level

What else needs to be considered?

There are more settings whose defaults can be confusing to people
who aren't familiar with 10+ years of Postfix history.

- relay_domains (default: $mydestination). This should be empty.

- mynetworks-style (default: subnet). This should be "host".

- parent_domains_matches_subdomains.  I am reluctant to change this
  because it affects so many Postfix features. A cascade of warning
  messages could be confusing.

I want to finish this before the next stable release. I'd rather
avoid a trickle of breaks with every stable release, as that would
detract from Postfix's reputation.