On 10 Oct 2014, at 11:55 , Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org> wrote:
> However with the incompatible changes in 2), I think that a major
> version number change is necessary. This may cause some delays in
> adoption, but I think it is only fair to people who have come to
> expect that upgrading Postfix is a no-brainer, because due to the
> changes in 2), I think is is not a no-brainer.

It seems reasonable, but it will cause many delays in adoption. First of all,
there are plenty of people/admins/site that have (at least effectively)
policies against installing a x.0 release, so many of those will not update
until 3.1.

I’m not saying that’s a reason to not move to 3.x, but it probably deserves
consideration that many sites will be stalled on 2.11 for a good long time. Is
2.11 a good place to be stuck on long-term?

If I were in charge, I think I would look at releasing 2.12 and 3.0 nearly
concurrently, with the difference being mainly that 2.12 has the backward
compatible checking of the conf files while 3.0 does not and moves forward with
the new defaults. Mark 2.12 as a transition release (maybe with a shorter
TTL/support window).

This is just off-the-cuff, there’s probably a really good reason not to do this
that I’m not thinking of.

--
Sam, I thought I told you never to play--