On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 08:11:20PM -0600, LuKreme wrote:

> If I were in charge, I think I would look at releasing 2.12 and
> 3.0 nearly concurrently, with the difference being mainly that 2.12
> has the backward compatible checking of the conf files while 3.0
> does not and moves forward with the new defaults. Mark 2.12 as a
> transition release (maybe with a shorter TTL/support window).

Sorry, Postfix has more respect for its users than that.  Even 3.0
is going to be backwards compatible by default, be it with warnings.
To suppress the warnings users can make old defaults explicit or
accept new defaults by raising the main.cf compatibility level.

As for site administrators with numerology fetishes who pick releases
by reading tea leaves, we can't do much for them.  Some of them
might never have installed Postfix 2.13 if we stuck with 2.x for
two more years.

--
        Viktor.