Am 04.11.2014 um 00:14 schrieb Edgar Pettijohn:
I use TCP to connect to mysql.  Out of curiousity I switched to unix
socket and this is the error I got.

Nov  3 17:08:55 pettijohn postfix/trivial-rewrite[83295]: warning:
connect to mysql server unix:/tmp/mysql.sock: Access denied for user
'mailuser'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

So it looks like I would have to make some adjustments to my 'mailuser'
account to use the socket.  Not sure what I would have to change, but
tcp works just fine for me

access denied is pretty clear - isn't it?

* you are using the wrong password or username
* you gave permissions to 127.0.0.1 and try with socket
* you gave permissions to localhost and try with TCP

MySQL has a concept of permissions based on user, password *and* host
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/privilege-system.html