On 1/16/2015 1:36 PM, Eugene R wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I have a fairly standard set of smtpd restrictions implemented and
> generally I’m very happy with them (very low spam traffic and no
> headaches associated with SpamAssassin or DSPAM).
> However, once in a while a legitimate message is rejected because
> the other side has misconfigured HELO or DNS or the like. Of course,
> they really should know better, but I am not always in position to
> explain it to them, and their organization may be too complicated to
> react properly. As the things stand, it sometimes creates problems
> for us rather than for them =)

If you're rejecting good mail more than "rarely", you should
reevaluate your restrictions.

In particular, most built-in HELO checks are likely to reject legit
mail, and not terribly effective against current spam bots. The
"reject_unknown_client" is also likely to reject wanted mail.  Use
these with caution.

> I have an idea that seems promising, but from reading the docs I
> feel that it is not currently possible. However, maybe it could be
> included in the next version or someone could suggest another approach.
> Basically the goal is to relax ‘hard’ reject restrictions and run
> the mails that fail ‘soft’ restrictions through greylisting or other
> filtering, without delaying good mail.

Alternately, investigate using postscreen with the "after 220" tests
enabled.

> I am not sure it is wise to try implementing such complex logic in
> Postfix configuration file. But I think it is easier and actually

Sounds like you're trying to recreate deep inspection in postfix.
Use SpamAssassin instead.

  -- Noel Jones