Am 30.12.2015 um 23:54 schrieb Dennis Steinkamp:
> Thank you for your reply.
> My postfix "needs" are pretty vague at this time.
>
> Lets just say my goal for now is, to configure a postfix server for a
> single (test) domain with SMTP-AUTH and Dovecot
> so that ultimately, i can send and receive e-mails from my MUA.
> (Thunderbird in my case)
> I tend to learn new things best when i start from a simple and total
> minimalistic setup and adjust the configuration step-by-step from there.
> That approach is pretty much what the book of postfix does but it
> doesn`t cover dovecot. (SASL section is about Cyrus not Dovecot for
> example)
> Of course there are many guides and howtos floating around the web but
> they don`t help me to understand how things work together.
> I looking for a book that helps me to accomplish what i described
> earlier in a "step-by-step" fashion.
>
> I would appreciate any recommendations you guys can give.
>
> Thank you
>
> Dennis

this is a mostly complete complex setup

https://www.exratione.com/2014/05/a-mailserver-on-ubuntu-1404-postfix-dovecot-mysql/

you might try google

dovecot postfix ubuntu

to find masses of step by step instructions

also

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo

should help and for sure the well done postfix doku

> Am 30.12.2015 um 23:02 schrieb Robert Schetterer:
>> Am 30.12.2015 um 21:47 schrieb Dennis Steinkamp:
>>> Hey guys,
>>>
>>> i want to learn more about Postfix and mail servers in general.
>>> This is more out of curiosity and personal interest, i am not a
>>> postmaster or anything. :)
>>>
>>> I purchased the Book of Postfix a while ago and read through a few
>>> chapters.
>>> I am sure most of it is still valid but on the other hand, postfix
>>> evolved and afaik the (english) book never got an update.
>>>
>>> There are other german postfix books which seem to be a more or less
>>> translation of the Book of postfix but covering more recent postfix
>>> topics.
>>> (especially the postfix + dovecot part is interesting)
>>>
>>> I am talking about:
>>> http://www.postfixbuch.de/
>> Peer Heinlein
>>
>>> http://www.postfix-buch.com/
>> Ralf Hildebrandt, Patrick Ben Koetter
>>
>> https://sys4.de/de/sys4/
>>
>>> Are these books exactly the same?
>> No, written by different germans
>>
>>> Am i right to assume that the german books are a little bit more
>>> up2date?
>> Most up2date might be
>>
>> http://www.dovecot-buch.de/
>>
>> see
>>
>> Peer Heinlein pre x-mas notice
>>
>> https://www.mail-archive.com/dovecot@dovecot.org/msg64398.html
>>

>> But i dont know if it covers your needs
>>
>>> Thank you for answering.
>>>
>>> Dennis
>> Printed books in general can t be up2date these days
>> as both projects postfix and dovecot are very active
>> but they can teach basics
>>

>> Best Regards
>> MfG Robert Schetterer

Best Regards