On Mon, 4 Jan 2016, Bill Cole wrote:

 The certificate I got is for "mail.<domain>.com" which should be correct.
 My MX record redirects to "mail.<domain>.com" while I also have an A
 record with a prefix "mail" which redirects to the correct IP. But
 Thunderbird sees the Location as "imap.<domain>.com" opposed to the
 "mail." address I made the certificate for.

I have not used it in a few years but I do support some users of it and to the best of my knowledge Thunderbird does not invent names at random, it uses the server names YOU configure it to use.

That's not totally true. If no autoconfig is configured for the domain and you have a catchall entry pointing to your server, then you will get imap.domain.tld and smtp.domain.tld as servers. As the IP is correct and the server reachable Thunderbirds autoconfig stops there. Either setup autoconfig for your domain or enter the correct server names in the Thunderbird setup dialog after the autodetect is done.

Ciao