On 20/02/16 02:05, Sebastian Nielsen wrote:
> Everytime I need multiple processes to access the very same file and those
> processes has interlocks that prevent them from running as the same user or
> same group, I just "fix" the problem with 666.
>
> That is a thing I ONLY do if I get a permission error when trying to do
> something I want to do with some software. So for example, when I want to
> edit something from my admin panel on http://www.sebbe.eu , I just 666 that
> file to be able to access it from the admin panel.
>
> Same, I needed to get arp working so HTTP could execute arp for detecting
> which MAC addresses users of a captive portal had. I simply 777'd arp
> command, because not even 755 worked for some reason, the arp command
> required whoever that had execute permission to also have write permission.
Apologies for butting in on this discussion. The above reasoning seems
to me deeply flawed and something I was guilty of as a Linux newbie back
in the late 90s. It is a tempting easy way out.

Rather than addressing the cause of a problem, you are attacking the
symptoms and in the process creating unnecessary vulnerabilities in the
system. At least that is how I read your brief description.

The problem with this, to my mind, is that it introduces sloppyness and
this can influence future actions and sub-par "solutions" permanenting
potentially harmful workarounds. On my own home gaming box, it's one
thing, on a company or client server on the other hand ...

/Martin S

--
This address is for technical mail lists only.For all other matters, please use
my main addressat the .org domain.