On 02/11/16 09:25, Karel wrote:
Hello,

I am using following smtpd_client_restriction:

  reject_unknown_client_hostname

Now, both my nameservers were offline, and postfix could not resolve IP
addresses and thus rejected all hosts:

  NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[x.x.x.x]: 450 4.7.1 Client host
rejected: cannot find your hostname, [x.x.x.x]

I know that unreachable nameservers are a problem of its own, and that
it should not happen. But still, is there anything I can do in Postfix
to mitigate this, should it happen again?

thanks,
Karel

According to documentation

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#reject_unknown_client_hostname
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#unknown_client_reject_code

''' The reply is always 450 in case the address->name or name->address lookup failed due to a temporary problem. '''

So it looks like it is not configurable behavior. As you admit that no DNS situation is bad on it's own why do you want to accept-by-default all e-mail instead of deferring it? It makes little sense to me as in that scenario most of the anti-spam and anti-fraud systems are down (RBLs, DKIM, DMARC, FCRDNS checks etc) so you will be accepting pretty much all the garbage that hits you.

I would rather 450 all mail by default if no resolvers are available as no mail should be lost if you fix that soon enough.

k.