On 2 Nov 2016, at 7:28, Karel wrote:

On 2016-11-02 11:36, Wietse Venema wrote:
  NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[x.x.x.x]: 450 4.7.1 Client host
rejected: cannot find your hostname, [x.x.x.x]

Note that this is a 450 status, because the name server did not reply.
A proper SMTP client will therefore try to deliver the email later.

but looking in my logs, I see also 450 status when nameserver is
reachable, but hostname could not be resolved (because it does not exist)

In other words, from the logs I cannot tell the difference whether
nameserver was offline, or IP simply does not resolve.

From the man page for postconf(5):

   unknown_client_reject_code (default: 450)
The numerical Postfix SMTP server response code when a client without valid address <=> name mapping is rejected by the reject_unknown_client_hostname restriction. The SMTP server always replies with 450 when the mapping failed due to a tempo-
       rary error condition.

Do not change this unless you have a complete understanding of
       RFC 5321.

You can change unknown_client_reject_code to 550 if you want to permanently reject when you get a hard DNS resolution failure. If you only want to change the code for better log differentiation, 451 or 455 would be arguably not wrong alternatives to 450.