Stavros Tsolakos:
> > What is the nature of the client? If it is an MTA, then it must
> > return a message to sender; if it is an MUA, then don't count on
> > such clients to put a non-delivery notice in the sender's inbox.
>
> Yes, it is a MUA. Several MUAs actually: a Rainloop webmail client, a
> CLAWS mail client etc. All report that they failed to queue the message,
> which is exactly what I wanted to happen. Is there a trigger for postfix
> to send a custom failure notice email to the sender when this happens?

No. I suppose there is no trigger for MUA clients to leave unsent
email in the user's inbox, or to report the server's response.

There is a one-bit 'can bounce' flag in the Postfix cleanup server
to create an NDR for email that is picked up from the Postfix
sendmail command, but I don't think that it is a good idea to set
that flag for email received via SMTP. Better get the clients fixed
to report the server response to the user.

> Alternatively, I could do it myself from the milter's code i.e. call the
> sendmail program to do the job. Actually, this can make things as
> flexible as needed.

Including spamming innocent people with notifications for email
that they did not send.