> On Mar 16, 2017, at 2:37 PM, Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org> wrote:
>
>> When trying to sign up for the list from my regular e-mail address
>> (served by my Postfix mail server, on a vhost at Arp Networks) I
>> got the following:
>>
>> <majord...@postfix.org>: host mail.cloud9.net[2604:8d00:0:1::4]
>> said: 554 5.7.1 <dougbarton.us>: Helo command rejected: Access denied

Note the use of IPv6 here.  Many large providers have chosen to set the
bar higher for IPv6 than IPv4.  In particular:

  * PTR records are generally mandatory
  * SPF and/or DKIM records are often mandatory

sadly, while CSA records would have been much more appropriate here,

  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-crocker-csv-csa-00

that idea went nowhere, in the rush to "solve phishing", which of
course did not happen with SPF/DKIM/...

Anyway, it is quite possible that the problem is that Doug's server
has IPv6 connectivity, and he either needs to jump through more hoops...
or disable IPv6 in Postfix:

        inet_protocols = ipv4.

--
        Viktor.