On Sat, 18 Mar 2017, Wietse Venema wrote:

I'm operating a bug tracker which sends out emails to participants
notifying of ticket changes. For new submitters it often happened, that
they simply did reply by mail which wont work with this instance.

Now I changed our setup a bit

In postfix main.cf:
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = ...check_recipient_access
hash:/etc/postfix/recipient_access...

and
recipient_access:
t...@mail.tld reject This trac does not have an e-mail input functionality.

This works like a charm, but then today something new did pop up. Sender
verify. It seems there are mail servers outside which connect back to the
original server and check for errors:

     550-Verification failed for <t...@email.tld> 550-Previous
     (cached) callout verification failure 550 Sender verify failed (in reply to
     RCPT TO command)

This prevents to notify them completely, as their servers wont accept any
mail from the ticket system. Turning off that feature I'd need to manually
inform mail senders again which I want to prevent.

Is there any solution to satisfy the "no-reply" mail address feature and
these sender verifiers. They don't actually send a mail, so maybe my
reject can come a bit later in the mail receiving process?

Whitelist the address up-stream:

   reject_unauth_destination
   check_recipient_access inline:{t...@mail.tld=permit}
   reject_unverified_recipient

or the equivalent idiom for a non-Postfix system that makes the callout.

You mean on the receivers side? I don't have control over their systems. I can change only the sending server. Maybe I've been unclear? The error message is an excerpt from the local postfix for an email I sent - Here's the full text:

<rem...@remotemail.tld>: host mail.remotemail.tld[X.X.X.X] said:
    550-Verification failed for <t...@email.tld> 550-Called:
    Y.Y.Y.Y 550-Sent:     RCPT TO:<t...@email.tld>
    550-Response: 554 5.7.1 <t...@email.tld>: Recipient address
    rejected: THis trac does not have an e-mail input functionality. 550 Sender
    verify failed (in reply to RCPT TO command)

or in a second mail

<rem...@remotemail.tld>: host mail.remotemail.org[X.X.X.X] said:
    550-Verification failed for <t...@rmail.tld> 550-Previous
    (cached) callout verification failure 550 Sender verify failed (in reply to
    RCPT TO command)

I got two rejects, because I did not properly handle mail rejects for this address (all the others had an owner-xxx, except this one :-(. That should be fixed now.

Ciao