FWIW, I've had amavisd-new "stall", for lack of a better description. Some describe it as locking up. I decided to pull it since I can't always get to a PC to get it going again. My problem is not unique as others have posted complaints on serverfault and similar websites.

I look forward to your progress and hope you write a summary.

Regarding testing, amavisd-new is tested with a message that triggers clamav. It is like a test virus.

https://serverfault.com/questions/484082/how-should-i-test-clam-anti-virus

From: fribse2...@yahoo.dk
Sent: November 30, 2017 6:04 AM
To: postfix-users@postfix.org
Subject: SV: Good solution for antivirus

Ok, it looks like there is a clamav-milter available in the EPEL, that seems to be the simplest solution.

So I've installed clamav-milter-systemd clamav-scanner-systemd

I've corrected the config for clamd:

cp /usr/share/doc/clamav-server-0.98.4/clamd.conf /etc/clamd.d/clamd.conf
LogSyslog yes
DatabaseDirectory /var/lib/clamav
TCPSocket 3310
TCPAddr 127.0.0.1
User clamscan
AllowSupplementaryGroups yes

I then corrected the milter config

vi /etc/mail/clamav-milter.conf
# Example
MilterSocket inet:8894
User clamilt
AllowSupplementaryGroups yes
ClamdSocket tcp:127.0.0.1:3310
LogSyslog yes
OnClean Accept
OnInfected Reject
OnFail Defer

As it seems to be Postfix 2.10, that part should be ok, now I just need to find out how to test it before activating it in postfix?