On 29 Dec 2017, at 02:18, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk> wrote:
ssl usually means port 465 with implicit SSL, while 587 requires explicit
ssl (aka starttls).

On 29.12.17 07:43, @lbutlr wrote:
As I understand it port 465 was deprecated 20 years ago.

It holds on in some servers because old versions (like pre 2010) of
Microsoft software do not support STARTTLS and some people refuse to
upgrade for security reasons.

pre-2007, as I mentioned in my mail you repled to :-)
also applies for outlook express which is also ld and deprecated.

(My solution was to only allow mail submission on port 587. People with old
clients have to use webmail or update).

2 reasons:
1. I've had problem with smtp/starttsl on port 587, caused by AV software,
   using 465 with implicit SSL helped.
2. it's not possible to reject plaintext connections on 465, and if somebody
   disabled plaintext, users would notice immediately

2B|!2B, that's a question!