On 01/04/18 16:08, Voytek wrote:
> On Thu, January 4, 2018 11:58 pm, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> On 01/04/18 00:52, Voytek wrote:
>
>> I have to say, that location is pretty whacked.  I wonder who came up
>> with that?  Who built the MariaDB packages?
>
> Phil,
>
> and: systemctl status rh-mariadb102-mariadb
>
> that's what happens when you blindly follow some instructions without
> understanding what you doing....
>
> CentOS SCLo Software Collections
>
> say, what do you use for backup script ? I've used in the past one from
> sf.net

Honestly, a lot of the freeware MySQL backup scripts out there are truly
awful and don't understand that backing up a database is different from
backing up a filesystem.  I would suggest looking at using mydumper
rather than mysqldump, though again for an installation as small as I
suspect yours is it probably makes little difference.  The principal
shortcoming of mysqldump is that it is a benightedly stupid tool that
cannot walk and chew gum at the same time, or *correctly* dump both
MyISAM and InnoDB tables in the same operation.  It should have been
overhauled or completely replaced with the release of MySQL 5.0, if not
sooner.  Mydumper is what mysqldump should have evolved into ten or
fifteen years ago, but didn't.

I have my own wrapper scripts for both mydumper and mysqldump, but they
were written for my employer and I would have to check whether I can
release them for general use.

> tried the tuneup, need to wait to have longer time:
>
> General recommendations:
>     Control warning line(s) into
> /var/opt/rh/rh-mariadb102/log/mariadb/mariadb.log file
>     Control error line(s) into
> /var/opt/rh/rh-mariadb102/log/mariadb/mariadb.log file
>     MySQL started within last 24 hours - recommendations may be inaccurate
>     Configure your accounts with ip or subnets only, then update your
> configuration with skip-name-resolve=1
>     Performance should be activated for better diagnostics
>     Consider installing Sys schema from https://github.com/mysql/mysql-sys
>     Read this before changing innodb_log_file_size and/or
> innodb_log_files_in_group: http://bit.ly/2wgkDvS
> Variables to adjust:
>     query_cache_size (=0)
>     query_cache_type (=0)
>     query_cache_limit (> 1M, or use smaller result sets)
>     performance_schema = ON enable PFS
>     innodb_log_file_size should be (=16M) if possible, so InnoDB total log
> files size equals to 25% of buffer pool size.

The mysqltuner script is a good basic guide but don't take it as gospel.
 You probably actually want to turn performance_schema off; for an
installation this small you can probably leave query_cache on, since I
expect you will have a very high rate of exact repeat queries.  Do not
set the query cache size larger than 32MB without careful analysis of
cache statistics.  For best performance your InnoDB buffer pool should
be at least 25% to 30% larger than your total InnoDB data if possible,
and do not use MyISAM tables if you can avoid it.  The MyISAM storage
engine needs to just *die* already.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications