On 2018-01-27 17:24, CP wrote:

>> I should add that such duplicity should not happen when using aliases. Also,
>> it may happen that two people get different copies of the same mail
>> (e.g. from this list).
>>
>> Are you sure your duplicities can't be fixed other way?
>
> In what way ? check alias expansion ?
>
> The thing is  I have some groups say group1 group2 and group3
>
> there may be users  that are part of only one group but there are
> others that maybe in all groups .
> Until I implemented lmtp and duplicate supression from it (dovecot) a
> user who was in all 3 groups
> would receive the message 3 times (and if send to his own email
> address 4 !)  The problem persists
> even with lmtp and messages that don't have Message-ID in header  ( I
> guess  this is the criteria for supressing
> duplicates) .
>
> How can I  track down this ?
>

> Thanks  for your time

Dovecot documentation says: "For more complex applications, the
duplicate test can also use the content of a specific header field or
other parts of the message."
https://wiki.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Extensions/Duplicate

I couldn't find specific example but maybe dovecot list is a better
place to ask. It might be possible to detect duplicates using different
headers. Anyway just Message-ID might be not a perfect solution.

If I understand your issue correctly I think that I have the same
problem that the user is a part of an alias office@ and he gets
duplicates of all mails send to him and copied to office@.

So @office -> guy1@, @guy2. If the e-mail is addressed to guy1@, office@
then Guy1 gets two copies and Guy2 only one. Often this e-mail is sent
in two different SMTP sessions so I don't see any possibility that
Postfix can catch that.

It's not a big deal so I have never looked into that but now I might.
The problem with using solely Message-ID is that off-list replies will
be matched with list-replies and I don't want that. Don't know if there
are any other possible side-effects of basically discarding same
Message-ID going to the same user in some finite timeframe.

Karol

--
Karol Augustin
ka...@augustin.pl