On 2018-02-20 11:07, Ralph Seichter wrote:
> On 20.02.2018 10:35, Karol Augustin wrote:
>
>> On 2018-02-19 23:13, @lbutlr wrote:
>>
>> > For example, most people have many email addresses, and rather than
>> > try to manage many different servers, they will pick their "best"
>> > server to send their email through.
>>
>> Any modern email client uses autoconfiguration this days and it is
>> actually very hard to set things up as you describe (using identities
>> etc.) in comparison to proper setup with one submission server per
>> account.
>
> Multiple identities are "proper" and very useful, especially when it
> comes to using different addresses for different mailing lists or when
> sub-addressing is unavailable. Also, people can have different roles
> with different email addresses in an organisation. Arbitrarily enforcing
> a one-to-one-relationship between email addresses and email accounts is,
> in my experience, often unnecessary and counterproductive.
>
> It can indeed be hard to set this up on the client side, due to the
> aforementioned restrictions of MTAs and for lack of support in MUAs.
> Mozilla Thunderbird may be dying a slow death, but I keep using it for
> its good multi-identity-support. I've asked Apple several times over the
> years why both their macOS and iOS mail clients don't support it, but
> apparently this does not even deserve an answer.
>
>> Sending e-mails on behalf of other domains breaks SPF, DKIM, DMARC and
>> is in general considered spoofing. You should be prepared for complaints
>> if you ARE allowing this.
>
> I run servers for myself and for customers that send email for various
> domains, with the proper config for SPF, DKIM, DMARC, DANE -- you name
> it -- and support multiple identities. It takes a bit more effort on the
> server side, but the users are happy, and I think that's worth the extra
> thought spent on the server setup.
>
> I'm not saying everybody needs multiple identities, but I know enough
> people who consider it important, including myself.
>
> -Ralph

Ok, so I think I misunderstood you.

I agree that multiple identities are useful and should be used. I use
them myself. I just don't agree that any user should be allowed to send
email from arbitrary domains using your e-mail server. For example my
users can't send e-mails From: gmail address using my server. They are
only allowed to send e-mail using addresses that they "own", which I
have configured using this ugly query (sender_login_maps):

query = select email from ((select email from virtual_users where
email='%s') union (select destination from virtual_users,
virtual_aliases where virtual_users.email = virtual_aliases.destination
and virtual_aliases.source='%s')) as adr \
join virtual_domains where SUBSTRING_INDEX(adr.email, '@', -1) =
virtual_domains.name

So if there is alias configured to deliver to particular user than user
can send e-mail from this address, but not from any address (gmail.com),
and not from his colleague's address, even if it is in the same domain.

So I agree, 1-to-1 mapping is bad but I disagree that complete freedom
for authenticated users is good.

k.

--
Karol Augustin