Kevin Miller:
> Some years back a local ISP/cable company hosted the alaska.com
> domain.  They had just leased the domain, and a couple years ago
> the owners didn't renew the lease.  GCI registered a new domain,
> alaskan.com (note the "n" in alaskan).  When my users send to
> some...@alaska.com, it bounces as there is no MX host to receive
> mail for that domain.  I'd like my outbound smtp server to to
> rewrite the to address so that u...@alaska.com becomes u...@alaskan.com.
> What's the cleanest way to do so?  I've been reading through the
> postfix address rewriting pages but with so many options I'm a bit
> overwhelmed.  I'm leaning towards the generic table - would that
> be an appropriate route?

Use canonical_maps to rewrite all instances of the address
(header, envelope, sender, recipient).

Use virtual_alias_maps (not virtual_aias_domains) to rewrite
the envelope recipient only.

In both maps,

    @alaska.com @alaskan.com

would do the domain translation.

Caution: with this, Postfix will accept email for any addr...@alaska.com
including addresses that are later found to be undeliverable. If
someone starts to send lots of mail to random addresses at alaska.com,
then your mail queue will fill up with bounce messages.