si5:
> >>May I suggest: you test the modified code and the unmodified code
> >>and then try to explain why one is better than the other.
>
> >>        Wietse
>
> Yes we have tested unmodified code with spirent(200,000 mails per 10
> minutes) and drops were very less.

That's 300/s, a performance level that Viktor reported for unmodified
Postfix with a Dell server from 2003.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/mailing.postfix.users/pPcRJFJmdeA

    "One single Postfix instance has been clocked at ~300 message
    deliveries/second[8] across the Internet, running on commodity
    hardware (a vintage-2003 Dell 1850 system with battery-backed
    MegaRAID controller and two SCSI disks). This delivery rate is
    an order of magnitude below the "intrinsic" limit of 2500 message
    deliveries/second[8] that was achieved with the mail queue on
    a RAM disk while delivering to the "discard" transport (with a
    dual-core Opteron system in 2007)."

> Ofcourse the unmodified code is better
> but we modified it based on our requirements and now we are testing it too.
> And it is showing significant mail drops. Once we are able make the drops
> less we want to document the maximum load capacities of this modified
> server. Thatswhy we are trying to find a document which has such information
> so that we can do an analogous testing and documentation.

There is no 'formula' to predict the behavior of a non-trivial
program, especially not when the performance is determined by remote
network performance, remore DNS server performance, and remote SMTP
server performance. Meaningful numbers require meaningful measurements.

BTW I would not consider a mail system as 'working' until all 'lost
mail' instances can be explained. Your requirements may vary.