--On December 15, 2018 at 9:36:56 PM -0500 Bill Cole <postfixlists-070...@billmail.scconsult.com> wrote:

On 15 Dec 2018, at 14:00, Paul Schmehl wrote:

--On December 14, 2018 at 4:09:08 PM -0500 Bill Cole
<postfixlists-070...@billmail.scconsult.com> wrote:

On 14 Dec 2018, at 15:32, Bill Cole wrote:

On 14 Dec 2018, at 0:46, Paul Schmehl wrote:

I'm seeing this error in the logs:

warn: Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated here (and will be
fata))

NOTE: that message should specify the source of the error. If it does
not, something in your logging plumbing is mangling error messages.

I tried increasing the debug level and even added -v to the pipe line
in master.cf, but the message was the same. This is the entire line.

Dec 15 18:50:32 mail postfix/pipe[33227]: A3CE22F157E:
to=<edi...@stovebolt.com>, relay=filter, delay=13, delays=3.7/0/0/9.7,
dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via filter service (Dec 15
18:50:25.479 [33256] warn: Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated
here (and will be fata))

That's broken... Something between Perl and your log is mangling and
truncating the error message. Maybe the Postfix 'pipe' plumbing? That's a
secondary issue though, as it is easy to run SA by itself to. find the
problem.

Try this:

   spamassassin -D all --lint

That should give you a large amount of debug output including the
original error message with a file &  line reference.

These are the lines in master.cf that points to the pipe for filter:
[...]

That solved the problem. It was a single ruleset, and I removed it.

I thought I only had default rulesets, but I guess I added a few extra ones over the years.

Thanks for your help. Errors bug me to no end, as you've probably figured out by now.

Paul Schmehl
Independent Researcher