On 1/29/2019 7:40 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
I'm reconsidering the once-per-year schedule for stable releases.
Basically, a Postfix stable release freezes development at a point
in time, forever. Primarily, this is good for stability.

Are the reasons you imposed a once-per-year release previously lessened in some way today? The release schedule is far less important than the quality & usability of the product.  So the question is what works for you - and what will encourage you to continue making your efforts available to others?

As a user - I'd prefer releases "when they're ready" regardless of timeline or age.  Postfix has the unfortunately unusual record of extreme stability - so as far as I'm concerned if you and those you work with consider a particular revision "stable-worthy" I'd rather you release it instead of waiting an arbitrary time period.  Which/how many versions you choose to provide support for is far less important to *me* than seeing continued growth.

But knowing that Postfix enjoys a preferred role for many distributions as the SMTP solution of choice I'm assuming you're also concerned about interactions with distro maintainers. So I suggest two possibilities:

1.  Similar to Ubuntu - have more frequent "short-term support" releases with designated "long-term support" releases at longer intervals.

2.  Re-consider whether arbitrary date-based releases are meaningful at all.  Instead, release on the "when they're ready" model and when a combination of reporting frequency and your own sensibilities tell you conditions are right designate a particular release as "long-term stable" - which will probably be close to an annual basis and will hopefully line-up with most distro freeze schedules as well.

--

Daniel