On 30.01.19 16:38, Wietse Venema wrote:
One problem with LTS releases is that down-stream distros can end
up running very old code (for example with 4-year LTS up-stream,
a down-stream distro with 4-year LTS can end up running 8-year old
code, which is really a pain to support on a mailing list like this
one). SMTP may be an old protocol but even there, a lot changes in
four years.

wouldn't e.g. reducing to one current and 2 LTS releases make this easier?

commercial distros like redhat can support LTS releases on their own, while
debian and ubuntu LTS have 2-year cycle and 5-year LTS support, yes, that
can get near 8 years behind.

otoh, it may be acceptable to drop support if a release is very hard to
maintain