> On Feb 5, 2019, at 11:36 PM, Patton, Matthew [Contractor]
> <matthew.pat...@commscope.com> wrote:
>
>> You misunderstood the documentation, the domain is only appended when
>> computing the *default* value
>
> No I didn't misunderstand the documentation. I provided both pieces of
> information via main.cf and I damn well expected Postfix to do the
> *self-evidently correct* thing. Much to my annoyance It did not.

I repeat, you misunderstood the documentation.  Postfix computes its
best guess at the FQDN when you DO NOT *explicitly* set myhostname, in
main.cf.  If you DO *explicitly* set myhostname in main.cf, then it is
*your* choice as whether you want to append $mydomain, something else
or nothing.  The *default* behaviour is as you'd expect.

Postfix has been around for 22 years, and this has not been an issue for
the vast majority of users.  Your misunderstanding may be annoying, but
we can't prevent configuration mistakes.  What is a mistake for some, is
a valid choice for others.  What we can do is provide sensible defaults
and then take the user's explicit configuration settings to be a valid
expression of intent.

--
        Viktor.