Hi Daniel,

thanks a lot for your insights ;)
Still collecting thoughts and strategies how other admins solve the issue of a hacked email account.
Anyone?

Thanks & greetings
Becki

Am 19.02.2019 um 12:09 schrieb Daniel Armengod:
Hi Becki,

At our site we have a log monitoring script (ad-hoc) which warns us
about "mass" authenticated smtp sessions, and also automatically
triggers a user disable on certain criteria, in this case:

- That sent emails exceed a threshold on a given time interval,
- *That there are numerous originating IP addressess*, and,
- That those IP addressess do not reverse-resolve to a hostname.

The 2nd rule is quite effective at catching botnets. *The last rule is
there because certain huge providers (e.g. gmail) send in parallel from
multiple IPs, and can register as a false positive by the 2nd rule.*

Automatically taking action based on geo-ip data + a connection number
threshold can also be an effective tool if you're mostly in a local
(national) environment. Anything coming from outside your country can
get extra attention if your userbase mostly communicates in-country. Of
course, if your operations are global in scope, this heuristic can
trigger many false positives and thus be worthless.

It's not a perfect solution (some hundred spam e-mails *do* get sent
until the auto-ban kicks in) and its short integrating interval (1 hour
by default) means that "trickle"-rate spam can get through.

All in all it is a somewhat effective mitigating strategy, and as they
say, perfect is the enemy of serviceable.

I'd love to hear how other site admins manage this problem :)

Kind regards,
Daniel