Thanks for all the replies.  This for an internal relay only with access
from a limited set of IPs so I am not concerned about security.  And
yes, I blew on on the encrypted password - should have just **** out the
entire thing.  I am using port 465 just as an alternate port to 25 for
only the problem HVAC systems so I am not using it in the default manner
with encryption which is why I do not have o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes set.

I still have the problem though, that sasl is working fine via
testsaslauthd, but I cannot get it to work with postfix.

Does anyone have ideas on how to debug the postfix - sasl interface (I
am using cyrus sasl).

cheers,

ski

--
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it
  connected to the entire universe"            John Muir

Chris "Ski" Kacoroski, kacoro...@gmail.com, 206-501-9803