Hi rfg,

What did I mean by cloud-based postfix:

 —> When you said “…"to some VM in the cloud someplace…”, I did presume you
meant a Postfix server in the cloud…like on an AWS VM or similar…

Security:

—> With some VMs, you will have complete root-level rights on the server and
can do what you wish in terms of server security.  In terms of NW security,
that will depend of course on the cloud\hosting provider that you happen to
use.  I use AWS which gives me a lot of NW control…for example, I have a
low-cost FW on the front end of my Postfix box and then I also do a few things
locally on the actual server all coming together to provide security for my
email infrastructure.

In terms of a accessing my email, I just configure IMAP on my client and point
it to my Postfix + Dovecot server.  This is very similar to many email accounts
one might setup using IMAP.  No local Postfix server or fetchmail required.
Also, you do have the option of keeping the mail in the cloud or transfer it to
your local machine.  In the latter case however, one thing you would lose is
being able to access that mail from any device you wish.

I understand - and share - your concerns re: cloud-based mail security but
those issues are manageable if proper infosec is implemented…