The following uses two transport maps and no changes in
relay_recipient_maps:

Assuming that both machines will accept mail for every
user@the-domain-in-question:

- One transport map on the new machine, that sends mail for
non-migrated user@the-domain-in-question to the old machine.

- One transport map on the old machine, that sends mail for migrated
user@the-domain-in-question to the new machine.

To migrate a user, delete her from the transport map on the new
machine before adding her to the transport map on the old machine,
otherwise mail will loop.

        Wietse

Thank you, Wietse,

In testing this, on the old server I have my transport_maps directive pointing to a mysql table, with the following query and table:

/SELECT nexthop FROM transport_map WHERE user = '%u'/

/transport_map table below:/

user                        nexthop

u...@test.com    smtp:[10.10.10.199]

However, this doesn't seem to be doing anything.  Sending email to the user results in delivery to the user on the old server and does not trigger a relay to the new server.

I have been trying to understand what others have been saying about this on the various threads, but I'm unable to clarify in my limited understanding.  What am I missing here?