On 11 Nov 2019, at 8:47, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

On 11.11.19 14:27, ratatouille wrote:

I would like to reject incoming email if dns- and rdns-entries differ.
Does this make sense and how could I achieve this?

they do not differ above. The IP 62.173.139.77, rDNS is s1.bomberg.city and
points back to 62.173.139.77.

If the 62.173.139.77 did not have reverse name, or its reverse name (s1.bomberg.city here) would not point back to 62.173.139.77, you'd see unknown instead of
s1.bomberg.city (the DNS name).

You can reject those cases by reject_unknown_client_hostname (either fails)

Which is unsafe, if you care about not rejecting even small amounts of legitimate mail from some systems that transport large amounts of legitimate mail.

or reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname (IP has no reverse DNS, no matter
if it points back).

The 2nd clause inside the parentheses is redundant. :)

reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname is much safer than reject_unknown_client_hostname. In many years of using it I have only seen a handful of undesirable rejections due to it or its analogs with other MTAs. In every case, those have been due to objectively and transiently broken DNS.

mail.namase.de is the HELO (EHLO) name. You must not reject mail when helo
name differs from DNS name (RFC violation).

True.

However, being a RFC violation is not by itself a sound reason to reject any particular mail security tactic. RFC821, RFC822, and their descendants are strongly influenced by the Postel's Robustness Principle. Unfortunately, that has historically meant that MTA implementations tolerate practices that are useful for spammers or are simply wrong and idiosyncratic to particular spammers or spamming tools.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire