On 18 Nov 2019, at 8:55, Gregory Heytings wrote:

Hi,

I know it’s an RFC violation, but I see no email that is delivered with a bare IP helo that is legitimate.

That might be your experience, but RFC 2821 (3.6) and RFC 5321 (2.3.5 and 4.1.4) explicitly state that an address literal can be used after HELO/EHLO. So it's a RFC violation to reject mail for that sole reason.

How much legitimate mail do you get with an IP helo?

Two other users replied to your question. For real-world mail servers, my experience is that the only safe restriction (safe = no false positives) is "reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname".

Irrelevant to HELO argument filtering.

With other restrictions, your users will never receive emails from administrations, schools, hospitals, etc., not even in their spam box.

Rejecting mail is a far better choice than delivering to a 'spam box' since most users never bother looking there for anything. Rejections at least stand some chance of making enough noise on the sender side to get misconfigurations fixed.

FWIW, across multiple mail systems and decades, I have never needed to exempt external sources from a requirement that a HELO/EHLO argument must contain letters and do not recall ever seeing a legitimate mail source using an IP literal or bare IP in HELO/EHLO in cases where such a restriction was impossible. Obviously your mail stream may differ, particularly if you accommodate submission on port 25.

--
Bill Cole