On Mon, Dec 09, 2019 at 03:48:50PM -0500, Jaroslav Skarvada wrote:

> it seems the resolver was rewritten (probably in postfix 3.1.x), but
> it seems it now uses res_query instead of the res_search which results
> in RES_DEFNAMES and RES_DNSRCH not supported with smtp_host_lookup=dns,
> example:
> # postconf -e "relayhost = [smtp]"
> # postconf -e smtp_host_lookup=dns
> # postconf -e "smtp_dns_resolver_options = res_defnames, res_dnsrch"

Those particular settings break the correctness of MX resolution and are not
recommended:

    http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtp_dns_resolver_options

Instead, use "dns, native" if you want those features for gateway
literals.

> Is this intended? I wasn't able to find any related incompatibility
> notice in the documentation

I don't think it was specifically intended, the change to use res_query was
made for other reasons, so this change may be inadvertent, but it is perhaps
time after 8+ years to drop the Postfix 2.8 support crutches.

That said, the documentation does need to match reality.

--
    Viktor.