On 14/01/2020 18:22, Wietse Venema wrote:
>> In section ?What macros will Postfix send to Milters??, MILTER_README
>> says:
>>
>>> As of Sendmail 8.14.0, Milter applications can specify what macros
>>> they want to receive at different Milter protocol stages. An
>>> application-specified list takes precedence over a Postfix-specified
>>> list.
>>
>> This refers to the API function smfi_setsymlist, right? When I hook a
>
> The Milter docs say: "This function must only be called during
> xxfi_negotiate()". Thus, you cannot call it at any other time.
> (found with a Google query, because milter.org is gone).

Yes, I’m using the API correctly, and get the MI_SUCCESS return code.

> Postfix test code calls smfi_setsymlist during initial Milter
> connection negotiation, through the xxfi_negotiate callback in the
> smfiDesc structure. It's been ~10 years, but that code presumably
> worked. The program is included with Postfix source as
> src/milter/test_milter.c. Maybe you can play with that.

I suspect this code doesn’t work and perhaps never did work – in Postfix
source there is only one occurrence of smfi_setsymlist, in a code path
that is never executed.

smfi_setsymlist would be a useful function to have, because it lets
milter applications request the macros they need for operation
themselves. Just recently there was a thread on this list where someone
struggled to set up the required macros for a milter application.