I recently started using an RBL service where we have a 'private key' and
this operates very simply by prefixing the key to the RBL address. But I
just realised that this appears to mean that for any rejections the whole
address - including the key - is passed back to the offending client. Which
if true makes a bit of a nonsense of the idea of a 'private' key.

Is there a way to cut out this private key in the response message? It
happens both with postscreen and smtpd. Here is a barely-obfuscated example:

550 5.7.1 Service unavailable; client [51.88.120.222] blocked using
sp8lefi4grtb7jftpslxxztu3y.zen.dx.spamhous.net