On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 02:56:17PM -0500, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 05:33:46AM -0800, Jon Leech wrote:
>
> >     The only meaningful messages in the mail logs were
> >
> > Dec 10 00:01:58 celly postfix/smtp[21050]: warning: relayhost configuration
> > problem
> > Dec 10 00:01:58 celly postfix/smtp[21050]: send attr reason = unable to
> > look up host mail.sonic.net: Name or service not known
>
> Is the "smtp" transport using "chroot" in master.cf?

    It is.

> > I can nslookup, dig (either A or MX records), telnet to port
> > 587, etc. on mail.sonic.net, so it's not a general system DNS issue.
>
> Are your tests performed as "root" or as an unprivileged user?

    As an unprivileged user.

> The chroot is always the Postfix queue directory, typically
> /var/spool/postfix.  And its use is specified in the "chroot" column of
> the master.cf service definition.

    Aha, it is. NetworkManager thoughtfully erased everything from
/var/spool/postfix/etc/resolv.conf shortly before these problems began,
which almost certainly explains the problem.

    I despise NM.

> A Debian update?

    No. But IIRC, Comcast went down for a while and I switched to
tethering via my phone for data around that time, and did have to
restore /etc/resolv.conf. I had no idea about the chroot resolv.conf.

    Thanks very much!

    Jon

P.S. I despise NM.