* Scott A. Wozny:

> In your average message header there are system names and IPs (both
> often internal) all along the path of delivery which would, on one
> hand, seem to be a needless leak of information useful to a hacker
> but, on the other hand, absolutely critical to troubleshooting mail
> delivery problems for any individual message.

There are some assumptions I usually make for production systems:

  - Organisation A has 0..n Intranet-only Postfix instances which don't
    connect to the Internet.

  - There are 1..m Postfix instances used as outbound relayhosts, and
    only these do connect to MXs using the Internet.

  - Troubleshooting can be separated into either the route
    Intranet-to-Relayhost or Relayhost-to-Internet.

  - Once a message reaches the relayhost(s), existing routing
    information is no longer relevant when it comes to debugging
    possible mail routing problems.

If these assumptions hold true, I see no harm in removing message
headers you consider sensitive on your relayhosts. Postfix's cleanup[1]
daemon can do it for you, using the header_checks[2] option:

  # pcre:/etc/postfix/my_cleanup_header_checks

The STRIP action logs header removal, while the alternative IGNORE would
delete headers silently.

-Ralph

[1] http://www.postfix.org/cleanup.8.html
[2] http://www.postfix.org/header_checks.5.html