On 15/12/2020 12:36, Ansgar Wiechers wrote:
> On 2020-12-15 Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
>> I received an obvious fishing mail today from ad...@p27.eu (my own
>> domain).  I appear not to be running an open relay [...]
>>
>> Am I reading this wrong?  Why was that able to happen?  I would have
>> expected a reject because something that is not my domain claimed to be
>> sending mail from my domain without authentication.
> Unless I'm misunderstanding something, the mail is being sent to a
> (presumably) valid recipient on your server:

> so your mail server is going to accept and deliver it.

Yes, you're right.  I was confusing sending _through_ to just spoofing
_from_.  They are, of course, quite different.

Thanks.

> Spoofing the envelope from address (Return-Path: <ad...@p27.eu>) is
> actually valid (per the SMTP protocol) and a common occurrence for mail
> sent by bad actors.
Is prohibiting spoofing envelope from recommended?  I'm not clear on
what, if anything, it would break.  I note that this doesn't happen to
me often.

--
Jeff Abrahamson
+33 6 24 40 01 57