On Wednesday, January 20, 2021 6:23:22 PM CET Curtis Maurand wrote:

Hello,

Natan> Or use  two ldap - master- slave and use  haproxy like
Natan> [...]
Natan> tcp-check send-binary 04008000 # name, simple authentication
Natan> tcp-check expect binary 0a0100 # bind response + result code: success
Natan> tcp-check send-binary 30050201034200 # unbind request

Interesting, thanks. Making LDAP not failing is one way of handling the
problem, right :)

Jaroslaw> Searching the web for "LDAP proxy", this is one of the first results
Jaroslaw> I found:
Jaroslaw> https://ldaptor.readthedocs.io/en/latest/cookbook/ldap-proxy.html .
Jaroslaw> It's a Python library for LDAP, and this documentation presents some
Jaroslaw> example code for creating LDAP proxies using this library.

I didn't know Ldaptor, thanks for the link. That would be quite easy to
develop indeed.

Curtis> A thought would be to have a separate process that checks for ldap
Curtis> availability.  if not, issue a postconf command to change the setting
Curtis> on the fly.  when the ldap server comes back, issue a new postconf
Curtis> command to reverse the process to go back to the ldap server.

Yes, I understand the watchdog idea :)

Wietse> Instead, query the hash map BEFORE ldap, and dump ldap periodically
Wietse> (hourly?) to hash. 'New' users will still be found most of the time.
Wietse> Just do it carefully.

Hmmmm... If we put the dump before, we will loose our 7-days window to react.
What could be done maybe is have 2 hash maps and not use LDAP at all : 1 file
generated every hour and our 7-days old dump as a second choice. But this is
not perfect neither as we will have a 1-hour lag regarding new info coming
from LDAP.

Well, I don't know what solution will finally be chosen but all that gives us
plenty to think about. Thanks to you all!

Best regards,

--
Ganael Laplanche <ganael.laplan...@centralesupelec.fr>
Unix Systems Engineer @CentraleSupelec Rennes