Dominic Raferd:
[ Charset ISO-8859-15 converted... ]
> On 12/01/2021 01:21, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 01:00:26AM +0000, JL (Postfix Readers A/c) wrote:
> >
> >> Can someone point me at the right place in the docs, or offer advice
> >> which maybe could also be added to the docs (!) to help others?
> > Each main.cf parameter documents its syntax.  Various parameters, that
> > take literal lists of values in-line, also take a file name whose
> > content contains similar values...
>
> How to know which parameters accept a filename as argument in this way?
>
> By experiment, myorigin does but mydomain and myhostname do not. It
> would be helpful (to me) if myhostname took a filename as argument.

htp://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html sats:

myhostname (default: see postconf -d output)
    The internet hostname of this mail system. The default is to
    use the fully-qualified domain name (FQDN) from gethostname(),
    or to use the non-FQDN result from gethostname() and append
    ".$mydomain". $myhostname is used as a default value for many
    other configuration parameters.

   Example:

   myhostname = host.example.com

That was not so difficult.