On 12/02/2021 18:35, Chris Green wrote:
On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 01:08:07PM -0500, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 11:14:24AM +0000, Dominic Raferd wrote:

On 12/01/2021 01:21, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 01:00:26AM +0000, JL (Postfix Readers A/c) wrote:

Can someone point me at the right place in the docs, or offer advice
which maybe could also be added to the docs (!) to help others?
Each main.cf parameter documents its syntax.  Various parameters, that
take literal lists of values in-line, also take a file name whose
content contains similar values...
How to know which parameters accept a filename as argument in this way?

By experiment, myorigin does but mydomain and myhostname do not. It
would be helpful (to me) if myhostname took a filename as argument.
You're perhaps confusing myorigin with mydestination.

The myorigin parameter is also not a match list, and so (in the
"upstream" official Postfix releases) does not support indirect
specification via a file.

I am not aware of any "single-valued" parameters that are match lists in
the upstream release.  Debian patches Postfix to support an external
file for (IIRC) myhostname, but that's not something that you'll see
otherwise.

The Debian patch sets myorigin:-

     # Debian GNU/Linux specific:  Specifying a file name will cause the
     # first line of that file to be used as the name.  The Debian default
     # is /etc/mailname.
     #
     #myorigin = /etc/mailname
Thanks yes this is what I had in mind - I run postfix on Debian-derived distro (Ubuntu) and I had not realised that Debian patched the postfix source code; this explains why it is not mentioned in the postfix docs.