On 16/02/2021 17:41, Bill Cole wrote:
On 16 Feb 2021, at 5:46, Dominic Raferd wrote:

On 16/02/2021 10:28, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
I have a client that's triggering these errors in my logs (and is
therefore unable to send even though he can read mail ok):

     postfix/submission/smtpd[310140]: connect from [...]
     postfix/submission/smtpd[310140]: SSL_accept error from [...]: -1
     postfix/submission/smtpd[310140]: warning: TLS library problem:
     error:14209102:SSL
     routines:tls_early_post_process_client_hello:unsupported
     protocol:../ssl/statem/statem_srvr.c:1685:
     postfix/submission/smtpd[310140]: lost connection after STARTTLS
     from 53.6.119.80.rev.sfr.net[80.119.6.53]
     postfix/submission/smtpd[310140]: disconnect from [...] ehlo=1
     starttls=0/1 commands=1/2

Searching on the error string isn't helping me particularly, and I'm
not sure how to discover what SSL version is being attempted.  That
he can read mail suggests to me that it's not really an SSL version
issue, but I see that dovecot is not being as strict.

I'd like to do what I can to verify/understand and not just relax
constraints blindly.

On my server I've set this, which I thought was permissive enough but
not too much:

     smtpd_tls_mandatory_protocols = SSLv3, TLSv1

Thanks for any pointers.

(Fwiw, the client is running thunderbird on Windows 10. Hopefully
that's not relevant.)

Those are terrible settings, probably the opposite of what you want.
For auth clients I have:

smtpd_tls_mandatory_protocols = !SSLv2, !SSLv3, !TLSv1, !TLSv1.1
That punishes older MTAs by forcing them  to use cleartext if they don't
do TLSv1.2+

In what way does that improve your security over the default, which
allows 1.0 and 1.1?
As stated this is for auth clients i.e. our own people, using SMTPS or STARTTLS. There is no problem for us in enforcing it for them, they don't use old MTAs anyway and if they did this would force them to upgrade, which would be good. This also seems to be the OP's scenario (as his logs imply the problem comes from submission port i.e. 587). We use standard postfix settings for permitted protocols for outsider emails (port 25) because (as frequently advised here) lower security is better than no security at all. HTH