On 16/02/2021 21:34, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
>> On Feb 16, 2021, at 3:57 PM, Dominic Raferd <domi...@timedicer.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In what way does that improve your security over the default, which
>>> allows 1.0 and 1.1?
>> As stated this is for auth clients i.e. our own people, using SMTPS or
>> STARTTLS. There is no problem for us in enforcing it for them, they don't
>> use old MTAs anyway and if they did this would force them to upgrade, which
>> would be good. This also seems to be the OP's scenario (as his logs imply
>> the problem comes from submission port i.e. 587). We use standard postfix
>> settings for permitted protocols for outsider emails (port 25) because (as
>> frequently advised here) lower security is better than no security at all.
>> HTH
> Yes, on the submission port, dropping support for TLS < 1.2
> is much more reasonable, because presumably you can make
> informed judgements as to what software the authorised users
> have at their disposal.

I was surprised by the level of disagreement on what best practice is.
I spent a bit of time this afternoon rereading that part of the
postconf manual.  I thought I'd summarise what I've understood, both
for other readers and to be contradicted if I've misunderstood.

Setting these two should guarantee that no incoming connection is
unencrypted.

    smtpd_use_tls = yes
    smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes

But which versions?  This seems to make sense: require high grade
ciphers.  But the man page makes a good argument for setting this to
medium.  I'd originally set smtpd_tls_mandatory_ciphers = high, I've
switched it to medium.

I had initially set smtpd_tls_exclude_ciphers = RC4, aNULL, but,
again, I see the man page makes a good argument against that, so I've
removed the exclusion.

The default value of smtpd_tls_mandatory_protocols is !SSLv2, !SSLv3.
The suggestion on this thread was to set it as follows, which was
certainly better than what I had (an explicit inclusion rather than an
explicit exclusion).  I'm rather tempted, based on the man page, to
change it to its default value (essentially, >= TLSv1).  I'm open to
argument.

    smtpd_tls_mandatory_ciphers = medium
    # smtpd_tls_mandatory_protocols = !SSLv2, !SSLv3, !TLSv1, !TLSv1.1
    smtpd_tls_mandatory_protocols = !SSLv2, !SSLv3

--
Jeff Abrahamson
+33 6 24 40 01 57

http://p27.eu/jeff/