On Wed, 10 Mar 2021, Wietse Venema wrote:

Dan Mahoney (Gushi):
All,

I'm working with the OpenDMARC folks on doing bug triage, and someone has
requested that if a domain's policy says p=quarantine, that it should be
"accepted" by postfix, and left for something like SpamAssassin to deal
with.  (I don't see any specific handling in spamassassin that treats
quaratine differently, but that's beside the point).

Per for RFCs, "quarantine" really means "queue for mail admins to deal
with manually".  This is an old concept, going back in sendmail at least a
decade, but it's been rarely used to this point.  Opendmarc makes this
relatively common, and will catch mail admins by surprise.

So my question is (I've been reading the postfix milter docs for a half
hour), is there any way to say (either globally or per-milter), "if the
milter says hold, just deliver as normal?"

Postifix has a concept of quarantine. It is called the HOLD queue.

As of 2006, when the Milter says QUARANTINE, then Postfix will
quarantine the message, i.e. place it in the HOLD queue, for admins
to deal with manually.

Yes, and I am asking if there is a postfix knob that says "I know what the milter says, but I want something different, because postfix doesn't know about what will handle that message downstream of postfix (procmail/spamassassin/imapfilter/etc).

I mean, maybe such a knob should exist if it doesn't, but this is also to improve OpenDMARC's docs so mail admins aren't suddenly surprised at this new action that's been off their radar for years.

Best,

-Dan