It appears that LoneStarKen <post...@lnstar.com> said:
>Possibly.  Since I am unsure why the package maintainer disabled
>CHUNKING I am concerned enabling it, we might have a broken
>implementation of BDAT or even worse something else breaks.
>Since this is a production server, I'm going to err on the
>side of caution until I get some clarification from the
>package maintainer regarding the decision to disable it.
>
>In addition, I have been unable to find enough information on
>BDAT to feel comfortable I know how it should work and how
>to test it in the event we decided to enable it.

It's defined in RFC 3030.  Read all about it:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc3030

It happens that I just added CHUNKING and BDAT to an MTA I use (mailfront if
you know
what that is.)  Inbound the code is quite simple and I would be surprised if
there were
any problems with it.  Outbound it's a little trickier since BDAT requires you
to know
the exact size of the chunk of message you're sending, which means it has to
deal with
turning \n into \r\n, but again, it's not a big deal.

I'm guessing that someone had some problem talking to Gmail or Hotmail/Outlook,
the
two largest systems that can use BDAT, turned it off to see if that was the
problem,
and never bothered to turn it back on when it wasn't.

To test it, turn it on, send yourself a fairly large message from a Gmail
account,
and see if you get it.

R's,
John