On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 08:38:30 +0200
Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk> wrote:

> On 08.07.21 18:48, li...@lazygranch.com wrote:
> >I rarely bounced email due to RBLs from someone I actually correspond
> >with. However I did bounce a message with the sender receiving this
> >message:
> >
> >Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following
> >address.<m...@example.com>
>
> >>From the maillog:
> >
> >Jul  7 16:35:21 example postfix/smtpd[27776]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT
> >from
> > sonic301-25.consmr.mail.gq1.yahoo.com[98.137.64.151]: 554 5.7.1
> > Service unavailable; Client host [98.137.64.151] blocked using
> > cbl.abuseat.org; from=<otherper...@sbcglobal.net>
> > to=<m...@example.com> proto=ESMTP
> > helo=<sonic301-25.consmr.mail.gq1.yahoo.com>
>
> This is not a bounce, this is a rejection by your MTA, and sending
> MTA is responsible for creating a bounce in this case.
>
> Some MTAs are very shitty regarding to bounce creation, not providing
> full messages.
>
> >Now you can use mxtoolbox to see that indeed 98.137.64.151 is
> >blocked. Same goes for sonic301-25.consmr.mail.gq1.yahoo.com.
> >However the sender doesn't know the FQDN nor the IP address their
> >email server used.
> >
> >Is there some flag I need to set to provide more information
> >regarding the 554 bounce? Preferably let the person know the RBL
> >that caused it.
>
> you can add info to reject messages by configuring e.g.:
>
> smtpd_reject_footer_maps=regexp:/etc/postfix/reject_footes_maps
>
> but nobody will guarantee that the sending MTA will put that info to a
> bounce.
>
> However, if it helps, please report this info so we know.
>
> I remember M$IE used to provide own error message if the message from
> server was smaller than 512B (and option "show friendly HTTP error
> messages" was on), making error messages useless.

For completeness (in that I should have included this):
postconf mail_version
mail_version = 3.5.8

OK details here:
http://www.postfix.org/smtpd.8.html:
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html:

However no examples on how to create the regex nor can I find any on
the internet. How about this:

/etc/postfix/main.cf:
    smtpd_reject_footer = \c. For assistance, call 800-555-0101.
     Please provide the following information in your problem report:
     time ($localtime), client ($client_address) and server
     ($server_name).

I would do something more like
     smtpd_reject_footer = \c. In your browser go to
     https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx and enter ($server_name)