For anyone encountering this error, I've traced it to a regression of
a very old bug relating to systemd service ordering dependencies.

In my case, OS is CentOS Linux release 8.4.2105
postfix-3.5.8-1.el8.x86_64

Since a recent update I've found that, after every reboot, Postfix fails
to start, and logs the message

fatal: parameter inet_interfaces: no local interface found for 127.0.0.2

If I then manually start Postfix (systemctl start postfix) it starts
right up with no complaints.

Long story short, this appears to be a regression of the 6-year-old
systemd problem documented at

   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/postfix/+bug/1519331

The problem is that in CentOS 8, a recent update seems to have changed
Postfix's systemd service dependency from

After=syslog.target network-online.target

After=syslog.target network.target

This means that Postfix now starts up before the network is completely
up, and systemd's DNS resolution hack (systemd-resolved.service),
finding no interfaces up yet, resolves 'localhost' to 127.0.0.2.

(man systemd-resolved.service)

The simple fix is to create an override file with

   systemctl edit postfix.service"

and restore the "After=" dependency on network-online.target

--
Jim Garrison
j...@acm.org