Gmail allows 150MB. Ok? And with that they are right. That is not “insane”.
Insane is the opposite: to reject an email, because a single file attachment
ended up a little bigger than expected. Total user experience disaster.

So could we concentrate on answering my question or solving the problem at hand?

My system needs to accept mails up to 150MB (as of today, in the future it will
likely be more). SMTP can do that. TCP can as well. The Internet certainly can.
If it is outside of your imagination, I’m sorry.

Handling a couple of GB with today’s computers and networks is a piece of cake.
And I want it to be a piece of cake for my mail server as well. And there is
zero technical need to inhibit proper handling of possibly large email.

Most emails which pass are comparatively tiny for sure. But obviously I need to
think with the limit in mind and not the average. And I need software which was
designed with that limit as well. Is Postfix such a software? If yes, then it
is my turn to configure it with that limit as well. If a user sends his photo
archive via email in 150MB pieces because that it what my mail server announces
it is not the fault of the user if my system goes down.

Correct mail filtering should be possible without keeping the mail in memory
and without writing it to disc twice. With that I mean: without writing the
same thing twice. It should be enough to have it written before the filter and
written again after the filter (possibly).

Postfix can’t do that? Or can it? How?

Regards,
Robert