. . .
> I would imagine that Postfix can only authenticate to
> servers that have entries in /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd.
>
>   smtp_sasl_password_maps (default: empty)
>
>     Optional Postfix SMTP client lookup tables with one
>     username:password entry per sender, remote hostname
>     or next-hop domain. Per-sender lookup is done only
>     when sender-dependent authentication is enabled. If
>     no username:password entry is found, then the
>     Postfix SMTP client will not attempt to
>     authenticate to the remote host.
>
> But it seems unlikely that you'd have put an entry there
> for a server of yours that doesn't authenticate.
>
> Perhaps you need to add that server to debug_peer_list
> and see what the extra logs say.
>
> cheers,
> raf

I believe I have that correct, per examples (and it is working mostly as
expected)
/etc/postfixsasl_passwd takes this form:

j...@aaa.com            joea@AAA:ADADAD
j...@aaad.com            j...@aaad.com:ADADAD2

As said, this appears to work and does not interfer with incoming email that
goes to a local host, unauthenticated, in all but one case.

joe a