> On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 02:03:29PM -0500, Joe Acquisto-j4 wrote:
>
>> > IIRC Wietse already suggested a work-around, by making the
>> > sender-dependent authentication settings be transport-specific.
>> >
>> > In particular the internal nexthop that does not do SASL should be
>> > handled by a transport in which sender-dependent authentication is
>> > disabled.
>>
>> I do desire outgoing email, with the "next hop" being my ISP, to have
>> sender dependent authentication.  Incoming email, once processed by
>> Postfix, SA, ClamAV, is sent to "the last hop" which does no
>> authentication.
>
> Sure, which means that the (smtp) transport used for that nexthop should
> have sender dependent authentication enabled.
>
>> I do get, I think, the point you illuminate in last your paragraph
>> that in my case, a specific inbound transport must be defined for all
>> incoming messages and this transport must not specify authentication.
>
> By not enabling sender dependent authentication for the (smtp) transport
> used to reach the internal mailstore.
>
>> However, I get a bit fuzzy about any distinction between "sender
>> dependent authentication" and "no authentication".   Presumably that
>> will require some what different configuration than Wietse described?

Thanks for your continued efforts.

> Postfix attempts to use SASL authentication when:
>
>     * smtp_sasl_enable=yes
>     * and either
>       - smtp_sender_dependent_authentication = yes and
>         smtp_sasl_password_maps contains a match for the sender, OR
>       - smtp_sasl_password_maps contains a match for the nexthop or
>         just the underlying hostname extracted from the nexthop
>         [host]:port or the like.
> Therefore your master.cf file needs to have an least one additional
> smtp-based transport, with either SASL disabled entirely, and/or
> sender-dependent authentication disabled, or perhaps a variant
> password table...  Below all three are set to "discourage" use
> of SASL:
>
>     noauth     unix  -       -       n       -       -       smtp
>         -o smtp_sasl_enable=no
>         -o smtp_sender_dependent_authentication=no
>         -o smtp_sasl_password_maps=

My initial attempts did not produce the desired result.   Do I need to
set all three options or just the first?  When I use all three log show invalid
comment for smtp

> With this, just make sure that deliveries to the internal mailstore
> use the "noauth" transport:
>
>     internal.example  noauth:[gateway.example]

This I took to be an entry in /etc/postfix/transport.  Is that correct?

joe a.

>> In any event I am nagged however by what causes Postfix to attempt
> authentication,
>> for this oddball email when others sent to the same user do not, with the
> same
>> configuration.
>
> See above.  You enabled authentication by enabling sender-dependent
> authentication and configuring a table with passwords specified for
> the sender addresses in question.

I still see a distinction but, let's just move on and see if it can be set to
rights.

joe a.

       j4computers, llc
   Stone Ridge, NY 12484